Thursday, May 7, 2009

My Life After Injury

English first/日本語は英語の後

Some of you may be interested in what's going on to me after my injury (photos 1 and 2, http://mfukuda.blogspot.com/2009/03/st-moritz-ski-report.html).

My shoulder/arm/hand/fingers stopped their mobility right after my ski accident. Almost 10 weeks after that, my left hand/ fingers regained their mobility but their power is only a half of my right part. My arm and shoulder began to move but can't sustain themselves against the gravity.

Here are some of my memorable experiences after my injury:

1. Bread, Blueberry Jam, and Coffee:
While the dinner on day 2 after my injury was my first meal at hospital, which I had still in pain and vomit-like feeling, the breakfast on day 3 was the meal I can't forget. It was just a cup of coffee with bread and blueberry jam, but I then realized my survival from the semi-fatal ski slope and felt glad to make sure that I'm still alive to have this breakfast. I couldn't stop my emotion from the bottom of my heart with thankfulness and a big sigh, and tasted every bite as running tears down.

2. An Apple:
On day 3 again at hospital, I was served a dinner with an apple. I was going to just bite it, but the Italian guy (who broke his right leg because of skiing) walked on crutches to me, talked to me in Italian which I couldn't understand, and began to cut and peal off my apple. I understood that kindness and help is worldwide common despite linguistic difficulty. Thank you, Roberto.

3. Schweizerhof Blanket:
On day 4 at hospital, Mr. Martin Scherer, my life savor visited me at hospital. He brought his hotel-signatured blanket as a present to me. I should've visited him first with a present as my appreciation for his kindness, though. Before my injury, I thought that Swiss preferred their privacy and were exclusive to strangers. But, this was a moment when I noticed their hospitality and kindness. Thank you, Mr. Scherer.

4. Lake Zurich:
After being discharged from hospital on day 5, I rode a train going back to Basel. The train ran by Lake Zurich at twilight. It was very beautiful but gave me a feeling of regret, anxiety, and loneliness. I just looked at the lake view from the train as again running tears down. This was another view I can't forget for the rest of my life.

5. Medical Appointment:
My wife contacted the representative of the Japanese group living in Basel who made a medical appointment at the University of Basel Hospital for me. Over the phone on day 6, she told me that, if I couldn't pay a deposit to the hospital immediately, she was ready to loan money to me. At that time, she even didn't meet me at all. I felt that I was not living by myself but in support from many people whom I haven't even met yet. Thank you, Hiroko-san.

6. Email from My Former Director:
My wife and parents wanted me to return to Japan as soon as possible for my rehabilitation in their direct assistance. I asked my wife to let me try if I could sustain my life at Basel by myself for a week. On March 11th, (exactly after the week has passed), I received email from Chuck, my former CSS director. He just heard about my injury, and gave me a message: he hopes that I'm healed rapidly and my work is going well on my sabbatical. Yes, he is the person who gave me this valuable opportunity. This was the moment when I decided to continue my sabbatical research as planned.

7. Canceling My Cancellation of Physiotherapy:
At Basel, I took 10 physiotherapeutic (PT) sessions at the University of Basel Hospital. One day I canceled a PT session in order to get in time for attending the NetArch'09 conference. Christine, my therapist pointed out that an almost week recess from physiotherapy would delay my recovery, canceled my cancellation, and rescheduled a PT session at 8am just before my departure for the conference. I really appreciated her pursuit for professional responsibility.

8. Kent, My Son:
My wife and kid visited me at Basel on March 22nd (photo 3). The next morning, I did some exercises for my shoulder rehabilitation as usual. It of course entailed a lot of pain and made me face to the reality: how far from my ordinary life I previously spent. I kept lying down on bed after my rehab. as feeling void. Kyoko told Kent, my son to stroke his dad's head gently as saying "a good job". I wondered if I could hold him up again with my both hands like I used to do, and if so, when it would be. I sobbed.

9. BA49:
On April 1st, I left Basel for Seattle via London. I've reserved a right-side of the bulk seats where I can get more space in front and protect my left shoulder from the isle. However, an Indian couple with a baby wanted to take two adjacent bulk seats including mine. As a result, I had to move to the left side of this bulk seats. Although a cabin attendant asked me if I'd be happy, I couldn't say "I was unhappy", because, as a dad of a kid, I knew that this couple really needed these two seats for their baby. Meanwhile after the take-off, another cabin attendant talked to me and kindly assigned a premium economy seat to me. It's just like a Japanese saying: kindness is not for someone else. Anyway, thank you, British Airways. I'll use this carrier again.

10. Green Lake:
I stayed at Shinko-san, a ski-school colleague's house in Seattle till April 7th before my departure for Irvine, CA. April 6th was a perfect spring day in NW (photo 4). It was warm, sunny, and beautiful. I walked around Green Lake near by Shinko-san's house, as enjoying the view of Green Lake in the background of Mt. Rainier and the Cascade Mountains (photo 5). I ran into the same woman with her injured leg twice. It seems like she walked clockwise and I did counter-clockwise. So, when we saw each other again, she began to speak to me. We talked about each other's injury, hard life, and emotional unstableness. At the end, she taught me her positive-thinking way: pick up one of my photos taken when I was physically healthy, look at the picture, and imagine how my shoulder will be healing back like I used to be. This was what I didn't even come up with into my mind. April 6th was a really nice day because of not only its weather but also this woman's suggestion.

11. UC Irvine:
Suzanne, my friend flew up to Seattle and drove me down to Irvine with my Honda CRV. After the three-day drive, we arrived at Irvine in the evening on April 9th. When my CRV ramped off from I-405 to CA-73 that was reaching to UC Irvine, I was trying to look outside and swallow my emotion. But tears couldn't stop after all. As the car exited to University St. and turned right on Campus Dr., I saw the sign of "University of California, Irvine" on which I sat 15 years ago for a photo pose. I felt very glad to come back here again after my survival from the ski accident and at the same time was filled with thankfulness to all my friends and colleagues who extended their unstinting help with taking me from St. Moritz to Basel, Basel to Seattle, and Seattle to Irvine: Hiroko-san, Shu-san, Kato-san, Lidia, Shinko-san, Dane, Suzanne, and John, (her husband who allowed me to ask Suzanne to drive me down to SoCal.)

12. Prognosis Postponed:
I met Dr. Rose, an orthopedist at Newport Beach on April 16th. He did some motion test on my left shoulder and arm: put my left thumb onto my mouth; stretch my forearm forward; put my left hand on my hip; etc.. I was unable to do any of them. His comment was "a very devastating injury". Although Suzanne asked for his prognosis, he postponed to mention about it for the next three weeks. He scheduled a neurological test on my injured shoulder. April 16th was truly a nightmare to me; I felt that my paralyzed shoulder and arm would even remain permanent; and so I cried tears of hopelessness.

13. Deltoid Muscle:
Dr. Rose referred me to a new physical/occupational therapist in Costa Mesa, named Wendy. Upon my 3rd visit to her on April 24th, she suggested to move my upper arm up in her support so as to check if my shoulder muscles could react. Since she supported my left arm and shoulder, I really couldn't tell if I moved my arm, using my shoulder muscles or she moved my arm. However, Wendy told me that, while it was very subtle, she felt my shoulder muscles reacting. She kept saying, "let's try one more time". As you can easily imagine, I followed her instructions as crying on a big relief but not a big pain. :-)

14. Neurological Evaluation (a.k.a. Extreme Excruciation)
I visited Newport Neurology on April 30th. The physician told me that the evaluation was made up of two steps, each taking 20 minutes: first tapping a bunch of probes on my left shoulder/arm/hand and transmitting subtle electrical pulses, and second sticking very thin needles into the muscles like "acupuncture" and evaluating electrical conductance. However, I realized that he extremely exaggerated the subtleness, thinness, and painlessness. These electrical pulses were so shocking that my body reacted unintentionally; the needles are like ordinary injections rather than acupuncture; and despite the pain, I was asked to move my muscles with needles stuck! After the evaluation, the physician pointed out that my brachial plexus must have been stretched thin, which was resulted from repetitive impacts onto my shoulder rather than just a one-time fall-down. I recalled my accident's scene and said in my mind: "bingo!". But I kept quiet, because Suzanne explained to him about the details of how I rolled down on the slope. Anyway, good news was that he didn't say "your nerves are dead". :-)

15. My 46th Birthday
On May 7th, I visited Dr. Rose again to listen to his prognosis for my brachial plexus injury. His comments were: "There is a very guarded prognosis for your brachial plexus injury but patients with brachial plexus lesions are observed for spontaneous recovery for several months. Typically patients who do not demonstrate clinical electrical activity by three to six months often undergo operative intervention." How nice! What a birthday present! It seems like my timer keeps counting down for the next 3.5 months to see if I'll be recovered or permanently handicapped. Anyway, all I have to do is keep engaging in my rehabilitation program and using my left hand as much as possible even in support of my right hand.

怪我(写真1、2、http://mfukuda.blogspot.com/2009/03/st-moritz-ski-report.html)の後どうなったか案じている方もいるかと思います。

私の左肩、腕、手、指は、スキー事故の直後、動作を停止してしまいました。あれからもうすぐ10週たって、左手と指は動きを取り戻しましたが、握力は右手の半分程度です。腕と肩も動き始めましたが、重力にすら打ち勝てず自らを支えることはできません。

怪我の後、これまでに思い出に残った経験談をご紹介します:

1. パンとブルーペリージャムとコヒー
事故後2日目の夕食が、病院での始めての食事でしたが、痛みと吐き気の中で、とにかく食べたという感じでした。しかし、3日目の朝食は、忘れられない食事となりました。単に、パンとブルーペリージャムにコヒーが付いただけの物でしたが、あの死にそうな斜面から助かり、今、生きてこの朝食をとっているのだと実感が湧いたのです。心の底から湧いて来る感情に耐えきれず、涙を流しながら、一口一口味わいました。

2. りんご
再度、病院でのこと、3日目の夕食にりんごが付きました。かじるつもりでいたところ、(スキーで右足を折った)イタリア人の青年が松葉杖で近づいて来て、イタリア語で話しかけて来ました。(もちろん、理解できなかったのですが)、私のりんごの皮を剥いてくれたのです。親切と助け合いというのは、言葉の壁を乗り越え、世界共通なんだと理解させられました。ロベルト(そのイタリア人)に感謝します。

3. シュバイツァーホッフの毛布
4日目に、マーティン・シェラー氏(私を助けてくれた人)が病院を尋ねに来てくれました。彼は、私へのプレゼントとして彼のホテルのロゴ入りの毛布を持って来てくれたのです。彼の親切に対して、先ずは私がお礼の品を持って彼を尋ねるべきところをです。怪我の前は、スイス人というのは、プライバシーを好み、部外者には排他的なんだと思っていましたが、このとき、私は彼らのホスピタリティーと親切心に気付きました。シェラー氏に感謝します。

4. チューリッヒ湖
5日目に退院し、バーゼルへ戻る列車に乗りました。列車は、黄昏の中、チューリッヒ湖沿いを走り抜けます。それは美しい景色でしたが、同時に後悔と、不安、それに寂しさを覚えました。車窓から湖を眺めていると、涙が止まりませんでした。この景色も、一生忘れられない物になりました。

5. 診察予約
カミさんがバーゼル日本人会の会長をしている人に連絡をとってくれました。その方が私のためにバーゼル大学病院の診察予約をして下さいました。6日目の朝、電話を通して、もし私が直ぐに病院に前払金を払う事ができなければ、立て替えても良いと言ってくれるのです。そのとき、彼女は私に会ってもいません。私は一人で生きているのではなく、会った事も無い大勢の人々に支えられているのだと感じました。ひろ子さん、ありがとうございます。

6. 前の上司からの電子メール
カミさんも両親も、私が日本に帰国して、彼らの世話を受けながらリハビリに専念することを望んでいました。私は、独りで1週間バーゼルでやっていけるか様子を見させてくれと、カミさんに頼みました。(その1週間後の)3月11日に、私の学科の前の上司、ジャックル先生から電子メールを頂きました。彼は今しがた私の怪我を知って、メッセージを送ってくれたのでした:速く完治し、サバティカルの仕事も上手く行く様に祈っている、と。そうです、彼が、この貴重な機会を与えてくれたのです。これで、当初の計画通りにサバティカルの研究を続行することに心を決めました。

7. リハビリ予約の取り消しの取り消し
バーゼルでは、大学病院で10回物理療法を受けました。ある日、NetArch09と言う会議の出席に間に合うあわせるため、予約を取り消しました。物理療法士のクリスティンは、1週間近くリハビリをしなければ回復が遅れると指摘して、私の予約の取り消しを取り消して、会議へ出発する前の朝8時に物理療法を行う様に再予約をしてくれました。彼女の仕事への責任感に感服しました。

8. 健人、私の息子
カミさんと息子が3月22日にバーゼルにやって来ました(写真3)。翌朝、いつものように自分で肩のリハビリしました。もちろん、かなり痛みが伴いますし、現実を突きつけられます:以前の普通の暮らしに戻るにはほど遠いと言う現実。私はリハビリの後も、虚しい気持ちでベッドに横になっていました。恭子が健人に「よく頑張りました」と言ってパパの頭を撫でてやりなさいと言います。この子を以前の様に両手で抱っこできるのだろうか、もしそうなら、いつのことになるのか、すすり泣くだけでした。

9. 英国航空49便
4月1日、バーゼルからロンドン経由でシアトルに向かいました。足元を広く取りつつ、左肩を通路から守るために、前方が壁になっているバルクシートと呼ばれる席のうち右側の席を予約しておきました。しかしながら、赤ん坊を連れたインド人夫婦がこのバルクシートの隣り合っている2座席、(しかも私の予約分を含む)を必要としていました。結果として、私はこのバルクシートの左側へ移動しました。客室乗務員が「これで大丈夫ですか」と聞いて来ましたが、私も子の親として、この夫婦が本当に赤ん坊のためにこの2つの座席を必要としている事は十分承知しているので、「大丈夫じゃない」とは言えませんでした。離陸後しばらくたって、別の客室乗務員がやってきて、プレミアムエコノミーの席を用意してくれました。「情けは人のためにあらず」とは良く言った物です。とにかく、英国航空ありがとう。また、乗りますよ。

10. グリーンレーク
4月7日にカリフォルニア州アーバインへ出発するまでの間、シアトルにあるスキースクールの同僚の信子さんの家に泊めさせて頂きました。4月6日は、ここ米国北西地方では、完璧と言って良い程の春らしい日でした(写真4)。温かく、晴れていて、上出来でした。私は、信子さんの家のそばにあるグリーンレークの周りを散歩し、レーニア山とカスケード山脈を背景とした湖の眺めを満喫しました(写真5)。途中、足を怪我し同じ女性と2回も出くわしました。彼女は時計回りに、私は反時計回りに歩いていたのです。それで、2回目に会ったとき、彼女の方から私に話しかけてくれました。お互いの怪我のこと、不自由な生活、そして、感情が不安定にことについて話をしました。別れ際に、彼女は前向きに考える方法について私に助言してくれました:自分の体が丈夫だったころの写真を1つ取り出し、よく眺めて、自分の肩がその時の状態に戻って行くのを想像してご覧なさい。全く思いもよらないことでした。4月6日は、本当に素晴らしい日でした。それは、天気だけでなく、この女性の助言によるものです。

11. カリフォルニア大学アーバイン校
私の友人のスザンヌがシアトルまで飛行機でやってきて、私のホンダCRVを運転して、アーバインまで私を連れて行ってくれました。3日間の旅程の後、4月9日の夜にアーバインに到着しました。私のホンダCRVが国道405号線から州道73号線に折れて、いよいよUC Irvineに着くとき、私は外を眺めて、感情を押さえようとしましたが、結局涙は止まりませんでした。車は大学通りに出て、さらにキャンパス通りへと右折するとき、15年前に写真のポーズを取るために腰掛けた大学の看板が目に入りました。私は、スキー事故から助かって、再度ここに戻って来れたのだと言う喜びと、サンモリッツからバーゼルへ、バーゼルからシアトルへ、シアトルからアーバインへと私の移動に惜しみなく援助の手を下さった友人と同僚(ひろ子さん、秀さん、加藤さん、リディア、信子さん、デイン、スザンヌ、そしてスザンヌが私を南カリフォルニアに連れて来るのを快く許してくれた、彼女の夫のジョン)への感謝で一杯でした。

12. 予後(回復の見通し)の延期
4月16日、ニューポートビーチにて外科のローズ先生の診察を受けました。彼は私の左肩に関して幾つかの運動テストを行いました:自分の口に左指をあててご覧なさい、腕を前方に延ばしてご覧なさい、左手をお尻に充ててご覧なさい、等。どれもこれも全部できませんでした。スザンヌが先生に回復の見通しはと聞くのですが、彼はそれについては3週間後に再度診察するまで差し控えたいと返事をしたのです。怪我を負った肩について神経科で検査予約を入れることになりました。4月16日は、本当に悪夢でした。もう、この肩の障害は一生直らないのだろうかとさえ思うと、絶望に涙しました。

13. 三角筋
ローズ先生は、ウェンディーと言う名のコスタメサの物理療法と手のリハビリを行う療法士を紹介してくれました。4月24日、3回目のリハビリのとき、彼女は、私の肩の筋肉が反応するかどうか調べるために、彼女が補助をするから私の上腕を動かしてみましょうと指示してきました。彼女が私の左腕と肩を支えてくれているので、私は自分の肩の筋肉を使って、自分の腕を動かしているのか、彼女が動かしているのか、はっきり言えない状態でした。しかしながら、ウェンディーは、本当に微細だが、私の肩の筋肉が反応しているのを感じると言うのです。「もう1度やってみましょう」と促され、痛みではなく、大きな安堵に泣きながら、彼女の指示通り肩を動かしたのは、想像がつくことと思います。

14. 神経科での検査(別名、究極の拷問)
4月30日ニューポート神経科を尋ねました。担当の医師は、検査は2段階(各20分程度)からなって、最初に左肩、腕、手に電極をあて、微弱な電気信号を流し、次に鍼と同様にとても細い針を筋肉に刺して電気伝導を調べると言う事を説明してくれました。しかしながら、彼は過度に微量さ、微細さ、痛みの無さを強調していただけなのに気付きました。電気信号は体が無意識に反応する程、衝撃的でしたし、針は鍼というよりは、普通の注射針と変わりませんし、痛みに耐えて、針が刺さった筋肉を動かせと言われるほどでした。検査の後、その医師は、腕神経叢が延ばされたに違いない、そして、これは一回の転倒なんかではなく、肩に繰り返し衝撃が走ったことによる物だと指摘してきました。私は、あの事故状況を思い出し、心の中で「その通り!」とつぶやきましたが、黙ったままでいました。というのは、私の代わりに、スザンヌがあの斜面を私がどう転がり落ちたか説明してくれたからです。とにかく、良いニュースは、「あなたの神経死んでます」って言われなかったことです。:-)

15. 46回目の誕生日
5月7日に、私の腕神経叢損傷 についての回復の見込みを聞くためにローズ先生を尋ねました。彼の見解はこうです「あなたの腕神経叢損傷の回復の見込みについては、とても申し難いが、数ヶ月程度で腕神経叢損傷 を自然治癒する患者も見受けられる。通常、3ヶ月から6ヶ月の間に医学的な(神経の)電気伝達活動が回復しない患者は、そのまま障害が残ることが多い」あ〜ら素敵!何て誕生日プレゼントなんでしょう!私が回復するか、このまま一生障害者になるか、残り3ヶ月半、タイムウォッチがカチカチと動いているかのようです。とにかく、私がしなければならないことは、リハビリを根気よく続けて、右手の支えを使ってでも左手を可能な限り使い続けることだけです。

Photo 1: My injured left upper arm (right on the photo)











Photo 2: A plate attached on my upper arm











Photo 3: my wife and kid



















Photo 4: Spring in Northwest














Photo 5: Green Lake

No comments: