Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Post Sabbatical

日本語は英語の後

It’s more than 10 months since I posted my last article on May 7th, 2009. While this blog was originally intended to introduce various experiences during my sabbatical trip over the world, the last two articles focused on my devastating shoulder injury.

This new article still puts a substantial focus on what’s going on my injured shoulder, but I’ll try to include some international experiences in medical care. There are not so many patients who got a surgery in two different countries rather than where they were born. My case is Switzerland and US.


First of all, here is a brief summary of my left shoulder/arm/hand/fingers improvements: I regained the motion of my fingers, wrist, and elbow by 5/7/09; I began to lift my shoulder a little bit by 6/14/09; then suddenly nerves came back to allow me to lift the shoulder up to 80 or 90 degrees in 6/21/09; and I regain my shoulder motion up to 140 degrees by 3/22/10. Even with this restricted motion, it was possible to enjoy skiing. I skied for 21 days during which I skied with Kent, my son for 12 days.


Toward a full range of my shoulder motion (so as to play tennis :-)), I took a surgery on 3/23/10 that removed the bone-supporting plate and thick scar tissue from my shoulder. Here is my story:


At 8:15am, I checked in at University of Washington Medical Center’s Surgery Pavilion. The waiting room seems like a hotel lobby: a bunch of sofas, chairs, and even stools as well as work desks with many electronic/Internet outlets, so that families and friends do not have to waste their time or just get relaxed. I just recalled that, when Kyoko was in labor at Evergreen Hospital, the lobby had nice chandeliers and a grand piano that of course gave live music. When my dad and I waited for my mom’s coronary surgery at a Japanese university hospital two years ago, I recalled that the waiting room had just many long seats and its floor was just titled (but not carpeted.) When I waited for my PT session at a Swiss university hospital, I used to sit at a long seat on a long hallway. Is this culture of having a gorgeous waiting room only in America?


At 9am, a nurse called me but advised my wife and kid to stay at the waiting room, because kids are not permitted to enter a pre-op room. However, they are supplied with my code name, (i.e. FU07MU) with which they can check a waiting room’s monitor to see how I am doing. I don't know about Swiss hospitals, because I was alone when I was hospitalized in Switzerland, but I’ve never heard of it in Japan.


Each pre-op room is a complete compartment. I dressed a surgery gown and laid myself on a bed. Nurses and anesthesiologists visited my compartment one after another as introducing their names and roles as well as checking my name, DoB, and procedures I will take. When I took a surgery in Switzerland, I didn’t even meet any anesthesiologist while I met an ER doctor, a surgery doctor, and a couple of nurses. Anyway, the first anesthesiologist explained about a planned procedure of anesthetizing me during this surgery: giving general anesthesia (i.e., putting me to sleep) and thereafter injecting anesthetic into nerves under the neck so as to make all from my shoulder to fingers numbing for the next 20 hours, which controls post-surgery pain. When he asked me “is this what you are interested in?”, I quickly responded to him, “yes, but I hurt brachial plexus, too when I broke my shoulder”. Then, he needed a consultation with his colleagues. Murphy’s law: nothing goes well smoothly to me. The 2nd anesthesiologist showed up 30 minutes later (probably after a meeting with the 1st guy), asked me about the details of my injury, checked my online medical record, and said to the 1st guy “Look. Dr. Winston mentioned about his brachial plexus injury.” They told me that they would need to change their plan, because they should avoid any risk to worsen my damaged nerves. According to them, I might take a local, static anesthesia onto only my shoulder, which may increase post-surgery pains. Again after waiting for 30 minutes, Dr. Warme Winston visited my pre-op room. “Hello! Dr. Fukuda”. It sounds strange to be called Dr. Fukuda by a doctor, though. Two more doctors, Erika and Rick also showed up. (I forgot their last names.) Dr. Erica pointed out a possibility of thick scar tissues limiting my shoulder motion. Dr. Rick checked my pre-op health condition a week ago. It seems like they are all ready. Dr. Winston marked my left shoulder with his initials, placed his hand on it, and prayed for a successful surgery and a full recovery of my shoulder motion. After waiting for 30 more minutes or so, another nurse showed up, gave me an anesthesia injection, and began to carry me to a surgery room as saying “I am a good driver but not so good at carrying a stretcher.” I lost my consciousness even on my way to a surgery room. I still recall that, at St. Moritz, I was carried on a stretcher to a surgery room, saw the surgery room’s entrance doors open, and looked up really bright lights.


My wife checked the waiting room’s monitor frequently. She knew that I was carried to a surgery room at 11:40am and was moved to a post-anesthesia care unit (PACU) at 2:50pm. So, it brought 3+ hours to my surgery. At the same time, Dr. Winston visited the waiting room to explain to Kyoko about my surgery with some pictures. She was advised to wait for 15 minutes to check if she can enter PACU but actually had to wait till 4:30pm. It seems like I woke up at 4:10am. I immediately realized that my left fingers were not numbing, which means that the anesthesiologists took plan B. Dr. Winston came to PACU to give me the plate and screws taken out from my shoulder, and mentioned that my shoulder got lifted 180 degree and my arm’s external rotation is about 60 degree. He has also explained to my wife that I will gain all full motions through physical therapy. Now, I have to take 3 PT sessions per week for the next 6 weeks. Thereafter, Kyoko and Kent came to PACU. She helped me with eating some yogurt. My wife told me that the doctor suggested that, if I suffer from pain (because of the local/static anesthesia), I could stay at hospital over a night. From my former experiences, (one at Evergreen in 2007 and the other at St. Moritz in 2009), I was sure that EKG cords would keep attached to my body, an ivy would keep inserted into my arm, and I would have to be checked by nurses frequently over a night. I asked Kyoko if she likes me to stay at hospital. I really wanted to go home as initially planed as an outpatient surgery. After receiving another injection to relieve from nausea, I walked around PACU and left the surgery pavilion at 5:30pm. Yes, even after having a 3+ hour surgery, a human being (of course including me who now came back from a cyborg :-)) is quite strong to walk soon! But again I’ve never heard of a 3+ hour outpatient surgery in Japan. At St. Moritz, I had to be hospitalized for 5 days! This is another experience only in America.


It was 6:30pm when we came back home after having driven through a traffic jam on the SR-520 bridge and stopped by Trader Joe’s to buy some ice cream. It was very delicious mango ice cream.


This finally closes my blog. Thank you.


Picture 1: White Scar Tissue between Upper Arm (left) and Shoulder (right)

写真1:左側の上腕と右側の肩の間にできた傷組織





















Picture 2: Cleaned Joint between Upper Arm (left) and Shoulder (right)

写真2:左側の上腕と右側の肩の関節部分が綺麗になりました。


















Picture 3: Plate Taken Out from My Shoulder

写真3:肩から取り出された金具














Picture 4: 10 Screws

写真4:10本もスクリューが刺さっていました
















2009年5月7日に最後のブログ記事を投稿してから既に10ヶ月以上が経ちました。このブログは、サバティカル中、世界を旅した時の色々な経験を紹介するのが本来の目的でしたが、最後の記事2つは、大怪我をした肩のとこについて話しました。


今回の記事も、その後、怪我を負った肩がどうなったかについて大きく取り上げますが、医療関連で経験した国際事情も話したいと思います。世の中に、外国2カ所で手術を受けたことのある患者などそう多くはいる訳がないですから。私の場合は、スイスと米国です。


まず始めに、私の左肩、腕、手、指の予後について簡単に要約します:昨年の5月7日までに指、手首、肘の動作を回復しました、6月14日までに肩が少々持ち上がるようになり、21日には80度から90度程度一気に持ち上がるようになりました。今年の3月22日までには140度くらい肩が持ち上がるようになり、スキーもできるようになりました。通算21日スキーをし、息子の健人とは12日一緒に滑る事ができました。


肩を完全に回す事ができるように、(そしてテニスができるように:-))、3月23日に手術を受けて、骨を支えていたプレートと厚い傷組織を肩から取り出すことにしました。以下がその状況です。


8時15分に、ワシントン大学医療センター手術棟にチェックインしました。待合室はホテルのロビーの様で、ソファーや足置き、さらに電源、インタネットソケットがあるビジネス用の机まで取り揃えていて、家族や友人などが時間を無駄に潰さないように、またリラックスできるようにしてありました。恭子がエバーグリーン病院でお産をしたときも、病院のロビーはすごいシャンデリアがあって、グランドピアノの生演奏までしていたのを覚えています。それに比べて、2年前に母が日本の大学病院で心臓の手術をしたときは、待合室はタイル張りの床に長椅子がおいてあるだけだったのを覚えています。スイスの大学病院でリハビリを受けるときも、長い廊下に備え付けてある長椅子に腰掛けて待ったものでした。この豪華な待合室を設置する文化というのはアメリカだけなんでしょうか。


9時に看護婦がやって来てました。子供は手術準備室に入れないので、ここでお別れです。しかしながら、カミさん達には、私のコードネーム(FU07MU)が渡され、待合室のテレビに映し出される案内で、そのコードネームを参照しながら、今、私がどうしているのか分かるようになっています。スイスの病院については知りません。なぜなら、スイスでは一人で入院していたからです。しかし、日本ではそんな話聞いた事がありません。


各手術準備室は個人個人に分かれています。私はそこで手術用のガウンに着替え、ベッドの上に寝ました。看護婦達やら麻酔科の人達が次々とあらわれては、自己紹介と自分達の役割を告げ、私の名前、生年月日、今日受ける手術の内容を確認します。私がスイスで手術を受けたときは、救急病棟の医者、手術時の医者、2、3人の看護婦以外には、麻酔科の人には会いませんでした。とにかく、最初の麻酔科の人が、今日予定されている麻酔の手順を説明しました:先ずは全身麻酔、次に首のしたにある神経に麻酔を注射して肩から指先まで20時間程度痺れさせるというもので、手術後の痛み止めに聞くとのことでした。彼が「この話は、興味があったことですか?」というので、即座に、「ええ、でも肩を怪我した時に、腕神経叢も痛めたんですけど」と返事をしました。すると、麻酔科の同僚との打ち合わせが始まってしまいました。マーフィーの法則:上手く行った試しがない。2人目の麻酔科医が30分後にあらわれ(多分1人目の人とミーティングしたのだろう)、怪我のことについて私に詳しく聞き始め、さらに画面に映し出されたカルテをチェックし、1人目の麻酔科医に「見なさいよ。ウィンストン先生がこの人の腕神経叢損傷について書いてあるじゃないの。」彼らが言うには、私が痛めた神経をさらに悪化させる危険性を回避するために、当初の計画を変更する必要があるとのことでした。それで、私は肩にだけ局所麻酔を打つだろうとの事、しかし、それは術後の痛みが増してしまうだろうとの事でした。さらに、30分待って、ようやく、ウォームウィンストン先生が手術準備室にやって来て、「こんにちは、福田先生」ってね。医者から先生と言われる奇妙な感じ。さらに、もう2人、エリカ先生とリック先生(苗字は忘れてしまいました。)もあらわれました。エリカ先生は私の肩の動きを狭めているのが傷組織のせいだと言い当て先生、リック先生は1週間前に手術前の健康診断をした先生です。彼らは全員準備できたという感じです。ウィンストン先生は私の左肩に自分のWWというイニシャルを書き、手を私の肩にあて、手術が成功するように、そして、肩が完全に回復するように祈って下さいました。その後、さらに30分は待ったと思いますが、別の看護婦がやって来て、麻酔の注射をし、手術室へ私を連れ出し始めました。彼女曰く「私は車の運転は上手いんだけど、ストレッチャーは動かすのは余り上手くないんです。」そうこうしている内に、手術室に行く前に気を失ってしまいました。サンモリッツでは、ストレッチャーに乗せられ手術室に行き、手術室の扉が開くのをこの目で観て、あの明るい電灯も目にしたのですが。


カミさんは待合室の案内表示板を頻繁に見ていました。それで、私が11時40分に手術室に入り、麻酔後安静室(PACU)に2時50分に移されたのを知りました。つまり、手術は3時間以上かかったことになります。同時に、ウィンストン先生が待合室を訪れて、写真を使って恭子に手術の説明をしました。恭子は15分程度待ってからPACUに入れるか受付に人にチェックするように指示されましたが、実際には4時半まで待つ事になりました。私は4時10分に目が覚めたようです。直ぐに左指が痺れていないことがわかりました。つまり、麻酔医は2番目の計画を取ったのでしょう。ウィンストン先生がやって来て、私の肩から外した金属とスクリューを渡してくれて、肩は180度上がり、腕は外側に60度曲がるようになった事を教えてくれました.カミさんにはリハビリで完全に元に戻るようになるとも伝えてくれていました。これから、週3回、6週間のリハビリに入ります。そうこうするうちに、恭子と健人がPACUにやって来ました。恭子は、私がヨーグルトを食べるのを手伝い、先生が、局所麻酔だったので、もし私が痛みに苦しむようだったら一晩入院しても良いと言っていたよ、と伝えてくれました。私のこれまでの経験から、(1つは2007年のエバーグリーンで、もう1つは去年のサンモリッツ)、入院すれば、心電図用のコードは体に接着されたままだろうし、点滴も挿入されたまま、さらに、夜通し看護婦にチェックされることは確実です。それで、恭子に泊まった方が良い?と聞きました。当初予定されていた通り、外来手術でその日のうちに帰宅したかったのです。麻酔から来る吐き気を和らげる注射をもう1本売ってもらい、PACUを少し歩いてから、5時30分に手術棟を出ました。そうです、3時間以上の手術を受けた後でさえ、人間というのは直ぐに歩けちゃうんですからすごいもんです。(これで私もサイボーグから人間に戻った:-))しかし、日本で3時間の手術を受けてその日の内に退院なんて聞いた事がないです。サンモリッツでさえ、5日間も入院していたんです。これもアメリカならではの経験なんでしょう。


州道520号線の橋の渋滞を通り抜け、トレーダージョーズでアイスクリームを買ってから、家についたのは6時30分でした。本当に美味しいマンゴー味のアイスクリームでした。


これで私のブログを終了します。ありがとうございました。




No comments: